Wednesday, April 1, 2009

music and memories



I've been meaning to post this video for awhile now. My little sister took this video of our grandmother, who is 94 years old and whose mind is slowly slipping away. I love music. My whole family loves music. And almost always, when I hear a song on the radio, it will remind me of someone or something in the past. I guess my grandmother makes the same connection with people and music. Here is my sister's description of the video from the vimeo website:

My grandmother, like many grandmothers, is a pack rat. So, my mom and I were going through her many things to decide what could be tossed out or given away to Goodwill. I came across an old envelope on which she had written out what seemed to be a poem. Then one day, I was listening to the complete recordings of Benny Goodman and realized that those words were from an old Jazz standard. I started to sing it to her and the lyrics came back to her so easily and she sang along. Now she sings it again all the time and I giggle because clearly she connects the song to a former love.

My dinner at the Melting Pot with some friends last night was a lot of fun, and well deserved after the day I had yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment